Affiliate marketing is one of the best ways to make money online. This article will walk you through 9 steps that will help you start your own affiliate marketing business with a blog!
- What is Affiliate Marketing?
- Why Start an Affiliate Marketing Business?
- Is Affiliate Marketing Worth It?
- How Much Money can I realistically expect to make as an Affiliate Marketer?
- How Long does it take to Make Money?
- What do I need to Start an Affiliate Marketing Business?
- How to Make your First Dollar with Affiliate Marketing
- 9 Steps on How to Start an Affiliate Marketing Business with a Blog
- 1 Get a Website or Blog
- 2 Choose a Profitable Niche
- 3 Choose an Affiliate Program to Promote
- 4 Define your Target Audience
- 5 Research your Competitors
- 6 Find the most Important Keywords
- 7 Create Content that Appeals to your Target Audience
- 8 Monetize your Blog Post Content
- 9 Market your Content
- 10 Analyze your Content
- 11 Rinse and Repeat
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a process where you promote someone else’s product or service in exchange for a commission on the sale. When someone clicks on your affiliate link and makes a purchase, you earn a commission!
Why Start an Affiliate Marketing Business?
There are many reasons why you should start an affiliate marketing business:
-You don’t need to create your own product.
-You don’t have to manage any inventory or shipping.
-You can work from anywhere, at any time!
Is Affiliate Marketing Worth It?
You can make a lot of money from affiliate marketing. In fact, some people are making over $100,000 per month!
However, it’s not for everybody. It takes a lot of work to get started and there is always the possibility that you won’t make any money doing it.
How Much Money can I realistically expect to make as an Affiliate Marketer?
The amount of money that you can make as an affiliate really depends on your niche. You can easily earn $100 per month or much more depending on how competitive the market is for a product in your niche.
How Long does it take to Make Money?
It takes about 12-24 months before someone starts making any good earnings online, assuming they are doing everything correctly.
What do I need to Start an Affiliate Marketing Business?
There are a few things that you will need to start an affiliate marketing business:
-A blog or website.
-An audience of people who would be interested in the products you’re promoting.
-The ability to drive traffic to your site.
-Email list builder (if you are planning on building revenue from email marketing).
How to Make your First Dollar with Affiliate Marketing
You can start the process as above with this link to Blue Host.
An alternative is Wealthy Affiliate. They have a program that allows you to do Free Hosting for 2 websites and have some training on how to get started in affiliate marketing.
Another nice thing is they also have an affiliate program, so you can decide to start your affiliate marketing business using their program, or any other topic you wish.
Want to see how easy it really is? Use the plugin below to have your very own website created in less than 2 minutes.
9 Steps on How to Start an Affiliate Marketing Business with a Blog
When it comes to starting an affiliate marketing business with a blog, there are a few essential things you need to do to get started. In the next section, we’ll outline the 9 steps you need to take to get your business up and running. So, if you’re ready to start making some money, keep reading!
1 Get a Website or Blog
You’ll need a blog of your own to start an affiliate marketing business. You can use Bluehost (the company that we recommend) or Wealthy Affiliate as they both offer good hosting service.
Read our full Review of Wealthy Affiliate for more information.
Just make sure that you choose a platform that is easy to use and provides all the features you need to run your business. Hence the reason we recommend using WordPress, which both offer.
Tips when Choosing a Web Hosting Company
1. Do your research to find a company that is reliable – look for reviews and testimonials
2. Find out what the web hosting company’s uptime is
3. Look into how much bandwidth you need, as well as if they offer any extras like email management or website builders
4. Compare pricing plans to see which one offers the best deal for your needs
5. Ask about customer service hours – will they be available during all hours of operation or just certain times of day/night
6. Consider whether you want an easy-to-use interface with lots of features, or an advanced platform with more customization options, such as cPanel access and SSH terminal access
Register a Domain Name
Once you have your blog set up, the next step is to register a domain name. This will be the web address for your blog and should be something that reflects your niche or business. You can use a domain name registrar like GoDaddy or Namecheap to do this.
Domain names typically cost around $12 – $20/year to register.
This should be done with the next step (choosing your niche) to reflect what your blog is about.
Tips when Choosing a Domain Name
1. Use a domain name that is memorable and easy to spell
2. Make sure the domain name isn’t already taken
3. Include keywords in your domain name if possible
4. Don’t use words like “the” or “and” in your domain name because they can cause confusion when reading it aloud
5. Keep your URL short and sweet, but make sure it’s not too long either as people might have trouble remembering it
6. Domains with acronyms are more likely to be remembered by customers than those without them
2 Choose a Profitable Niche
The next step when you start affiliate marketing is to choose a profitable niche for your business. This is where a lot of people get stuck, as it can be difficult to know which niches are the most profitable.
Here is an article on Researching and Finding an Evergreen Niche that will help.
There are a few things you can do to figure this out:
– Do some research online and look at what types of products and services are being sold in the niche
– See what type of content is being produced in the niche – people usually flock to niches where there is a lot of helpful content available
– Use Google AdWords Keyword Planner Tool to see how many people are searching for keywords related to your chosen niche
Once you have a general idea of what type of products and services are being sold in the niche, it’s time to start doing some more detailed research.
Tips for Choosing a Profitable Niche
– Choose a niche that you have some personal interest in or knowledge about
– Make sure there is enough demand for the products and services being offered in the niche
– Make sure you are not choosing a niche that is too competitive, otherwise it will be more difficult for you to make sales
– Make sure the search volume on Google AdWords Keyword Planner Tool is high enough – use something like “over 100” as your search limit if necessary
3 Choose an Affiliate Program to Promote
Now that you have a fully functioning blog and you have chosen an affiliate niche, it’s time to choose the company or companies that you will be promoting.
There are thousands of different affiliate programs out there – some bigger than others – so choosing one can be difficult.
How to Choose Affiliate Programs for Your Website
To choose a program, you should search for affiliate programs related to your blog niche and find out which ones have the highest commission rates. Then search on Google with phrases like “highest paying affiliate programs” or “most profitable affiliate programs”.
Once you’ve found some good candidates, sign up as an affiliate so that they can send you promotional materials, such as banners and text links.
An affiliate network is a good place to start when looking for affiliate programs. These are websites that allow you to browse and join different affiliate programs from one location.
Some of the most popular affiliate networks include:
– Amazon Associates
– CJ Affiliate by Conversant (formerly Commission Junction)
– Rakuten Linkshare
– eBay Partner Network
– Clickbank (for digital products)
Once you’ve joined an affiliate network, it’s time to populate your website with promotional materials from your chosen affiliate programs.
Affiliate Sales and Revenue
The amount of money you can make as an affiliate will depend on a few factors:
– The commission rate that the merchant is offering
– The number of sales you make
– The type of products and services being sold
– Your conversion rate (the percentage of visitors to your website who buy something)
Generally, the more sales you make and the higher the commission rate is, the more money you will earn. However, it’s important to remember that not all affiliate programs are created equal – some are more profitable than others.
As an affiliate, you will earn a commission for every sale that you make. This commission is usually a percentage of the total sale amount and can range anywhere from around two percent to 75 percent.
4 Define your Target Audience
Now that you have a general idea of the products and services being sold in your chosen niche, it’s time to start thinking about your target audience.
Who is most likely to buy these products and services?
– Are they male or female?
– What age group are they in?
– Do they live in a certain country or region?
– What is their income level?
– What are their interests?
Once you have a good idea of who your target audience is, you can start tailoring your content and marketing efforts to appeal to them.
Creating Buyer Personas
One way to help define your target audience is by creating buyer personas. This involves creating a fictitious person who represents the people most likely to buy your chosen products and services.
For example, if you are promoting cooking classes for children, then your buyer persona would be an upper-middle class parent with young kids at home. You can also include specific details about this imaginary person’s interests, demographics etc., to get even more specific.
Once you’ve created your buyer persona, use it as a guideline for everything that you do to promote your affiliate products or services – from blog posts and social media updates through to email campaigns.
5 Research your Competitors
Before you start promoting your affiliate products and services, take some time to research what your competitors are doing.
For example: What types of blog posts are they writing? How often do they publish new content? Do their social media profiles link back to their website(s)? Are they active on any forums related to the topic? Which keywords are they targeting in their marketing efforts?
By researching your competitors, you can get a good idea of what’s working well for them and adapt and improve upon these strategies to suit your own needs.
Competitor Analysis Tools
There are several different tools that you can use to help with your competitor research:
– Google Adwords Keyword Tool
– Google Trends
Analyze your Competitors
Once you have a list of competitor websites, it’s time to start analyzing them in more detail. This can be done by using the following tools:
– Open Site Explorer (Moz)
– Screaming Frog SEO Spider
– Majestic SEO
By analyzing your competitors in this way, you will be able to see what strategies they are using that are working well for them and adapt and improve upon these strategies to suit your own needs.
6 Find the most Important Keywords
Now that you have a good understanding of your target audience and your competitors, it’s time to start thinking about the keywords that you should be targeting in your marketing efforts.
Keywords are the terms and phrases that people use when searching for information online. By targeting the right keywords, you can increase the chances of your affiliate content being found by your target audience.
However, not all keywords are equal in terms of their value to you and your affiliate website(s). Some will be much more valuable than others because they have a higher search volume (the number of times that people use the term when searching online) or lower competition from other websites targeting them.
How can I find out which keywords I should be targeting?
There are several tools and strategies that you can use to find out the most important keywords:
– Google Adwords Keyword Planner
– The Google search bar (by typing in your keyword here, it will give you some ideas for related terms)
– Google Trends
By using a combination of these methods, you can compile a list of keywords that are most relevant to your affiliate products and services.
Target the Right Keywords
Once you have a list of target keywords, it’s important to target them in the right places. This means using them in the right titles, headings, and subheadings on your website, and in the text of your blog posts and articles.
You should also use them as part of your social media profile bios and updates, and in the text of your email marketing campaigns.
The more places you target your keywords, the higher the chances that people will find your affiliate content when searching online.
Now that you know a little bit more about keyword research, it’s time to start creating your blog post content!
Here is a related articles I wrote that should help:
- 15 Ways on How to Find Profitable Keywords and
- How to Find Keywords that Convert with Less Competition
- Long Tail Pro Review is about tool that will help you find keywords with specific intent
7 Create Content that Appeals to your Target Audience
One of the most important things you can do when promoting affiliate products and services is to create content that appeals to your target audience. This means writing blog posts, articles and social media updates that are relevant, informative, and engaging.
Your content should be well-written, keyword rich and full of helpful information that your target audience will find useful.
By creating content that is targeted and relevant, you will not only increase the chances of it being found by your target audience, but you will also be building trust and credibility with them.
Keep in mind that affiliate marketing is a long-term strategy, so don’t expect to see results overnight. It takes time and effort to create quality content that will be appreciated by your target audience.
Here are some ideas for creating content that appeals to your target audience:
– Write blog posts, articles and social media updates about the products and services you are promoting
– Answer common questions about the affiliate products or services you are promoting
– Share case studies, testimonials, and other useful information
– Write about affiliate marketing strategies that your target audience can use to increase their own affiliate earnings
– Blog at least once per week (or more if possible)
One of the types of content that is probably going to make you the most money is product reviews. The reader is at the purchase phase of their buying cycle, and if you can convince them to buy, you are going to receive that commission.
Here is an article I wrote on How to Write Awesome Product Reviews that Convert.
8 Monetize your Blog Post Content
The last step in the process to create blog post content is to monetize it. There are many ways that you can do this, and I have included some of them below:
– Create banner ads using affiliate links
– Add referral links at the end of your articles/blog posts (however, make sure they are not too intrusive)
– Start your blog posts with an affiliate link (this is called banner blindness). People often don’t pay attention to banner ads because they’ve been seen so many times before, which makes this the perfect place for referral links. Have them at the top and bottom of each article/blog post you write
– Promote your affiliate links using social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Google+)
– Promote them via email marketing (you can use this for an autoresponder sequence)
– Include banner ads in your sidebar or other areas on the blog post content you write
If you are looking for some ideas of monetizing your blog, here is an article I wrote on 12 Ways to Earn Money through Blogging.
9 Market your Content
Once you’ve created your blog post content, you need to market it for people to find it.
Here are some ideas on how you can do that:
– Include relevant keywords throughout your articles/blog posts (but don’t overdo it)
– Use images, infographics, and other types of visuals to break up the text
– Make use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest) to share your posts
– Submit them to article directories and other websites that accept guest posts
– Email them to your subscribers or include them in an autoresponder sequence
– Use paid advertising (Facebook Ads, Google AdWords) to drive traffic to your blog posts
The best way to market your blog post content is by using a variety of methods. This will ensure that you are reaching as many people as possible.
If you need help getting started, I suggest checking out these articles I wrote:
- 25 Tips on How to Get Engagement on Twitter
- 6 Effective Strategies on How to Make Money on YouTube
- 11 Methods on How to Monetize an Instagram Account
10 Analyze your Content
The last step in the process is to analyze your blog post content. This will allow you to figure out what worked and what didn’t, which can help you improve on future posts. There are many tools that will help you analyze your website visitors; I find Google Analytics works just fine for me.
Here are some things that I recommend analyzing:
– The amount of traffic your blog posts receive
– How many people share or link back to them
– The number of leads or sales that are generated as a result
– Which blog posts generate the most comments
– What type of content your audience likes the most (infographics, images, videos, etc.)
By analyzing your blog post content, you will be able to improve it and make it even better. And the more you improve, the better your results will be.
11 Rinse and Repeat
So now that you’ve completed the first blog post content, it’s time to move onto the next one. Rinse and repeat this process until you have enough articles to start marketing them. As for the amount you need, it depends on how often you want to market on each social site.
I find that I generally struggle when starting with anything less than 20 good articles.
Frequently Asked Questions
An Affiliate Program is a way for you to promote someone else’s products or services and earn a commission on the sales that are generated. When someone clicks on your affiliate link and makes a purchase, you will earn a commission from that sale.
There are a few things you need to do to create an affiliate marketing blog:
1. Choose a niche
2. Create high quality content
3. Market your content
4. Analyze your results
Once you have those basics in place, you can start creating posts and driving traffic to them. What you do next depends on your goals and what you’re comfortable with.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be useful for affiliate marketers because it will allow you to rank higher in search engine results. And the more people who find your content, the more likely they are to visit and make a purchase from you. But even if someone doesn’t know SEO, there is still a lot of traffic available online that can be tapped into.
Keyword research is important because it can help you figure out what people are searching for. If your blog post content matches that search term, then chances are they will visit and make a purchase from you.
WordPress is a popular blogging platform that many people are familiar with. This means that it’s easy to learn how to use, which can be helpful when you’re starting out. Additionally, WordPress offers a lot of features and options that other platforms don’t have.
A content marketing strategy is a way for you to plan out your blog posts. This will make it easier to create high quality content that’s optimized for search engine results and human readers alike.
There are a few different platforms that successful affiliate marketers use:
– Social Media
– Email Marketing
Each one of these platforms can be used to reach a different audience. For example, social media is great for reaching people who are already interested in your product or service, while email marketing can help you reach people who haven’t heard of you yet.
Having a blog is important because it allows people to get to know you and your brand better, which can make them more likely to purchase from you in the future.
So there you have it – a few basics that every affiliate marketer should know. By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to creating high quality content and generating more sales. Remember to always analyze your results so you can continue improving your strategy. And most importantly, have fun with it!
If you have any questions or other tips you would like to share, please do so by leaving a comment below.